PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oostende
Thread: Oostende
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2016, 16:00
Jan Olieslagers

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nothing wrong with carrying all the emergency equipment, if you know how to use it. As a prime safety measure, though, I would recommend flying as high as possible (I think the UK has class A above 6500' over the English Channel?) which has the added advantage of getting you into controlled airspace once in the EBBU FIR.

I understand from the www, without personal experience, that the KONAN waypoint is almost mandatory. That might however depend on your flight rules being VFR or IFR.

If using the DUNKY waypoint (city of Duinkerke aka Dunkerque, it is a VRP for EBOS), make sure to be high enough, there is one of those nasty power plants nearby with its associated Prohibited area - and the French are known to keep to those very strictly.

On weekdays, be aware of the military EBFN Koksijde, with several bits of airspace associated. They are not always active, in fact I think they are only active per NOTAM, but do make sure to have the info. Any Belgian service will tell you.

Think of your alternate: as you want a point of entry (also known, inaccurately, as a "customs field") your nearest choices are LFAC (equally prone to sea fog), EBAW (quite a long way off, but an interesting destination in itself), EBKT. Avoid EBFN as an alternate: the field is open to civilian traffic in the weekend, but requires a one-year membership instead of a landing fee - a bit on the expensive side.

Culinary tip: especially in hot weather, nothing beats "tomate crevette" - invented in Ostend when it was still an upper class hence Francophile resort - a salad basing on tomato, shrimps, and cocktail sauce. Goes with fries - Belgium has the world's best! - and, subject to pilotage regulations, a glass of Rodenbach beer.

Hoping this helps,