PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Future Accommodation Model
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2016, 15:17
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The way to bring equality to the marrieds/civ partnerships and singlies is not to destroy the existing offer for the marrieds, it is to bring a greater degree of equality/support for the singlies.

Make the SLA fit for purpose - en-suite and double beds the norm (something we've been talking about for 20 years), and removals that means more than the ability to hire a transit for a couple of days - or even worse for an overseas move
STH, with you all the way on making SLA fit for purpose. Singlie or married, personnel are often put in appalling accommodation. I hate having to stay over in the Mess with it's rickety single beds, seemingly modeled on some instrument of torture taken from the Tower of London, dodgy plumbing and heating, lack of en suite and the general feel of the rooms that they've either been burgled or a hotch potch of 1950s furniture thrown in to resemble a sale in a thrift store. This is the twenty-first century and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect minimum standards regardless of age, rank or marital category. The SLAM accommodation I occupied during the week when at JHC HQ (Andover - Army HQ) was a prime example of what we should be aiming for.

That said, whilst not wishing to destroy the existing offer for married personnel, that would be very Corbynistic to bring everyone down rather than actually doing the right thing, the policy for charging PS Cat 5 personnel full accommodation charges for living in during the week when they own their own home simply has to stop. To put it another way, based on Grade 1 accommodation charges, it's the equivalent of a £2600 pay cut for senior officers, a £2100 cut for junior officers and £1600 for WO & SNCOs. Now tell me how that is fair when we are frequently reminded that a Posting Notice constitutes a legal order that we therefore can't ignore?

Last edited by Melchett01; 5th Sep 2016 at 16:17.