PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Descend to MSA when "cleared approach"
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2016, 13:25
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FlightDetent:

For where I come from (both training and operations) MSA is calculated in the same manner, providing 1000 ft obstacle clearance. Given the fact, that intermediate approach segment MOC is 500 ft - just for comparison, I am happy to use MSA as an operational altitude when the situation of the day requires to do so.

This would be illegal in the US, ok. Learn something every day: ticked.
A further bit of clarification. In TERPs, and I presume in PANS-OPS as well, required obstacle clearance (ROC) in feeder routes and airways must have at least 2,000 feet of ROC in Designated Mountainous Areas (DMAs) and 1,000 feet elsewhere. MSAs always have 1,000 feet, even in DMAs, which makes them especially non-operational in DMAs.

The FAA is going increasingly to Terminal Arrival Areas (TAAs), which are operational altitudes that replace MSAs and have 2,000 feet of ROC in DMAs. TAAs don't fit everywhere because they have to meet descent gradient requirements (MSAs don't) and the affected ATC facility has to sign off on TAA procedures. Attached is am example of a TAA procedure. (Some other countries are also using the TAA concept instead of MSAs, at least with some procedures.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
KPRC RNAV 21L.jpg (380.5 KB, 35 views)