PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CNS RWY15 EOSID
Thread: CNS RWY15 EOSID
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2016, 08:15
Ned Gerblansky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The answer...

Greetings all,

I hope you are all familiar with the terms "Warning", "Caution" and "Note". Failure to observe a "warning" may result in loss of life. In the SID off rwy 15 at YBCS is a warning to not delay the turn beyond DER due high terrain. The DER is 2.6 DME.

In the FMGS the SID is programmed to initiate the turn at 400'. This may not co-incide with the DER!! so watchout. (By the way it was a QF 747, not SQ.) So, to the unfamiliar operator, getting the auto-pilot on "nice and early" after take-off may be your un-doing. I always used to insist this departure is manually flown, at least until the turn is initiated. In the OEI situation, PANS-OPS will guarantee you 15' obstacle clearance - not much I admit, but it's not hitting. As to acceleration and clean-up, anything after the turn will suffice. I flew this departure nearly every day of my 6000 hr Airbus life, and it is challenging, but the key is that early turn.

If you are heavy - yet performance allows a B2 intersection departure - have a really good think about that, and recall the old wisdom about altitude above, fuel in the bowser and runway behind you. In the end it's up to you, I'll be on the train or ship.

'Bye

Ned