PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a FTE
Thread: Becoming a FTE
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2016, 00:31
Milan_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Becoming a FTE

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on how to become a flight test engineer.

I'm 23 years old and I live in Belgium. I have a bachelor's and master's degree in electronic engineering (4 years in Belgium) and I'm currently getting my bachelor's degree in physics, after which I plan on getting a master's degree in astrophysics (additional 4 years).

When I was studying electronics, I took some courses in avionics. Right now I'm taking courses in fluid dynamics and some elective courses in aerospace engineering.

After this I plan on getting my PhD in mechanical engineering, more specifically computational fluid dynamics and it's applications to aviation (this research group: Fluid mechanics ? Department of Flow, Heat and Combustion Mechanics ? Ghent University), during which I will get a master's degree in aerospace engineering through an online university (preferably Embry Riddle).

All of this may seem like thinking pretty far ahead, but in Belgium this is possible. Studying is practically free and getting a PhD is a pretty well paid job. In addition, doctoral positions at the research group i mentioned are well within my grasp considering my current grades and a few talks I had with my professors. And getting an extra master through an online education during your PhD is also no exception lately.

I have my PPL and I'm in good shape.

Now I would like to become a flight test engineer. I assume this is possible with just an aerospace engineering degree and getting some experience. But I would like some formal training in this area. I have searched the internet and found a few schools. But I have no idea how, in practice, people get into these schools. I assume you have to be sponsored or be extremely rich.

In particular I would like to know more about the Empire Test Pilot School's FTE program. How hard is it to get in? Would it be possible for someone with my qualifications? (assuming everything I mentioned went according to plan)
How hard is it to complete the program once you are in?

I know ETPS is extremely competitive and the chances of me ever getting in are very small. I also know I can't get in on my own and need support and sponsoring from my government, employer or university. But I want to know how people actually get into this type of school. Also any career advice to push me in the right direction is very welcome.

Sorry for the long post, I didn't anticipate it would be this long.

Thanks in advance!