PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Disappointing distant airshows 2016
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2016, 21:30
NutLoose

Received 2,938 Likes on 1,252 Posts
Victory Show Cosby

I do not want to say this but if you pay to go to air shows, this is now one you need to miss, content was good, BUT the new display line is nowhere near the show, so you end up watching it in the distance, and I am talking using a 500MM lens with a 1.4 convertor on and the only way I could get anywhere near a full screen shot was to do a 100% zoom on the camera.
I and a lot of people left early because it was totally pointless staying, after the ground battle had finished, the only chance you had of getting a decent shot or indeed seeing the aircraft flying was during take off or landing, and I wasn't the only person being vocal in that they would never attend again in the current format, that in itself is sad as the profit's go to charity.
I know Shoreham happened and the CAA got anal and had to react, BUT the main crux of the matter of Shoreham was those killed were not involved in the show which by purchasing a ticket you accept the risks, I understand that and see what they are trying to fix, but the sheer fact that they have moved the display line actually increases that risk as it no longer falls within the boundary of the display site the public pay for,
As with everything you get freeloaders, and I watched the show supervisors clear them for them to reappear again the minute the vehicle's left. these were none paying members of the public which are then UNDER the display line, so those that except the risk by purchasing entry are now in effect not being able to enjoy a show at a realistic display format, whilst those that haven't accepted that risk by purchasing a ticket have a full show, call me old fashioned, but isn't that doing exactly what the lessons of Shoreham were supposed to prevent, injury to those outside the show?????
Leaving early I saw more, and was closer to the Spitfire display driving through the uncontrolled environment of the village, than I was in the controlled and paid for show ground.
And in that, there is something fundamentally wrong in this new ethos!