PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wg Cdr Arthur Gill, OBE, DFC
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2016, 19:27
NigG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The photo above, which I came across recently in one of Arthur's boxes, looked to be an item worthy of the bin! It was in an envelope with another, on the back of which was written an explanation.

In January 1943 , 84 Sqn was moving from Vizagapatam, on India's west coast, further south to Cholarvarum, Madras. They had recently equipped with the Vultee Vengeance and were about to acquire Mk.2s, passing their Mk.1s over to 45 and 82 Sqns. The main party was being taken by train to the new airfield, and this rather blurry shot was taken from the train window. Arthur and his navigator, New Zealander Flt Lt Jimmy Hawke, decided on their flight south to intercept the train and put on an impromptu performance to entertain the boys on their rather slow and boring journey. The photo is of one of the passes that the two of them made during several minutes of 'beating up' the train.

(In addition, a small reminder that 'Danny' and his daughter will be attending the funeral of their respective wife and mother at 14.00 (BST/GMT+1) tomorrow (Monday). The strain on them both doesn't bear thinking about... or perhaps it does. I've been reading a sheaf of letters that Arthur kept, many of them from his ex-colleagues in 84 Sqn, written just after the war. It's striking how many were getting married to their sweethearts now that war was over. It's cheering that 'Danny' has had so many years with his wife beside him. It's sad too that that period has drawn to a close and Danny has had to face this unspeakable trauma. In my mind, I'll be with him tomorrow.)

Last edited by NigG; 4th Sep 2016 at 21:19.