PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2016, 12:15
Royalistflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MSOCS: In the past we (our misguided politicians?) have made bold predictions that turned out to be very wrong. Nevertheless, I have the impression that near term fights seem unlikely given the air-to-air missile range capabilities. The idea that one approaches unseen and kills the opponent - and that by the time he can see you, he is dead seems to be the "dogfight" premise for the F-35/F-22. However given that the likely arms sellers to our possible opponents are already developing aircraft with similar stealth to F-35/F-22, then when you can "see" him, he can "see" you too. Doesn't that sort of cancel out? Marginal technological advantages will come into play and last for a short while. Nevertheless, I just don't see us (UK) in conflict with any major player who could own such technology. Russia isn't going to attack west. China is more interested in buying us than fighting us. And if we're seriously smart we won't go getting involved in a fight with Iran. So I would question our need for F-35/F-22 technology.