PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skymark
Thread: Skymark
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2016, 06:54
Flying_saucer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skymark

Hello,

This is an information about how it was my Skymark's experience, as i've been there for more than 5 years. Now they are recruiting more foreigner Captains as many are leaving the company. i already left.

I think everybody should know what are the real cons and pros of being there.

I consider Japan as the best country in Asia. Extremelly safe, very good food and nice people. Good for living, but you have to accept his rules and culture, there are many differences to occidental style.

First of all, and it is very important, choose the right agent. IASCO is the one that seems the best, as they have a representative in company's headquarters and after some bad experiences they are the only one who cared most about their pilots. As you may understand living in Japan is sometimes difficult due to language and it is very important to have someone's help and support. Pilots with that agent are happy. i can't tell you they are the same about others.

Come to Skymark if you are unemployed or only if you can get a leave in your current company. Training period could be very long, from 8 months to 1 year. During that time company is always checking if you "deserve" to be flying there or not. if they don't like you you will be discontinue immediatly, without any hesitation. Also be prepared to live during that period in a "matchbox" style house, very small one, everything in 17 square meters.

The success ratio is very low. Many pilots are discontinued during training and others just leave because they don't accept Japanese style. Others fail the last checks, as JCAB (aviation authority in Japan) is old fashioned aviation style and they are very strict with companies and pilots. So the ratio is around 5:1.

Regarding conditions... think about why so many expats pilots are leaving.... In my opinion the market is demanding many pilots and they have the same conditions or even worse as 15 years ago, as they lowered some benefits to senior pilots. The problem is that they don't want to improve at all so they will face the same problem forever.

The commuting is not bad at all, you may return home every month if you want but in my opinion more days off are needed as you will lose much time to commute. Besides that they don't help so much with schedule and your days' off request, so every month is a bit stressful this situation.

Flying in Japan is relatively easy, as operation is extremely standarized. You will follow a book they want you to learn by memory so just follow it.

This is a low cost company so don't expect anything as a regular company. Now they begin to provide uniform. Food is not good and hotels, recently they changed some to better but in general low level.

Absolutely no problem about having your salary paid on time, they are Japanese so they are serious in this matter. But in Skymark they don't treat employees so well, they follow slavery old fashion style way, so you are supposed to follow their instructions and work as they want you to do it.

So please never leave your current company unless you get a leave period for at least one or two years,, just in case as it is very easy to leave.

The screening process is very simple, just an interview and a simulator. Basically they want to see your attitude and flight technique. If they see you will accept their Japanese style and you have a good aircraft control you will pass. After that patience is the word.

Whatever you want to know more in detail just contact me and i will give you more information.

Good luck and take care!