PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A RAAF Mirage wheels up landing story worth reading
Old 4th Sep 2016, 01:36
zzuf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, in my experience it was not like a "stretched out" flare. I guess your experience was somewhat different! The Mirage, at those speeds had lots of drag and you could increase the drag hugely with just a tweek on the stick - just roll to 60 degrees AOB pull a bit, roll to 60 in the other direction and repeat - knock off 100 knots easily. It needed a lot of energy to flare from that ROD and bleeding it off slowly would not end well.
On finals the rate of descent was so high that it was easy to identify the centre of the expanding circle of ground where the extended flight path was pointed. If that wasn't on the runway, i.e.. short, then you weren't going to make it.
When operating below about 300kts you operated the stick and throttle simultaneously, 180 degrees out of phase - pull back stick, push throttle forward
On the other hand Gary Cooper did a successful real forced landing just after takeoff at Willy on a disused old runway that most of us didn't know existed. Somewhere near Dutson I think.