PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinese engines anyone?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2016, 13:19
notapilot15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lomapaseo
notapilot15

I realize that you only posting "your" opinion

but just to counter here's mine

Airline management is looking for FAA approved workup and maximum on wing time that falls within schedules. That's where the real money savings is.

Manufacturer reps visit these shops to assist them in meeting customer requirements. That way we can all sleep easy that Joe Blow is not taking out turbine blades with a hammer and chisel.
Of course it is my opinion, just like every single sentence on entire social media.

Annual FAA audit and four shop visits by rep doesn't guarantee anything.

There is no incentive to do a good job like keep mx in-house by hiring engineers/diploma holders train and get them certified. Now time is money. Just hire the meanest contract negotiator, rest will fall in place.

Lets look at the three financial/operational models with engines
1) Buy/finance and does every bit of mx in-house
2) Lease and outsource entire mx
3) Power by the hour

Compare previous engines like GE90/Trent 900/CFM56 with current generation GEnX/Trent 1000/PW GTF/LEAP

In old days #1 would be smart/intelligent and proud choice, now actually #3 is better option because of design issues, onslaught of ADs/EDs, PIPs and everything in-between.

Airlines even including clauses not to pay frame lease when engine is not available.

Mfg authorized service center doesn't guarantee only couple of highly qualified/certified aircraft maintenance engineers working on the engine. It could use 20 low skilled workforce to take an engine apart in one day.