PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Science Museum, Wroughton - Events
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2003, 17:23
atb1943

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do hope you were all at Wroughton last weekend for one of their very few events.......read part of their own description of the event........

....At 600 feet above sea level Wroughton was one of the highest World War II airfields - as a consequence we know a thing or two about wind!...

The Science Museum is sitting on a wealth of aviation history that should be on view to the public at reasonable times, say, March to October.....I know, who'll pay for staffing, security, etc..(Nat Lot)

On a private visit to the UK with an American (aviation nut) colleague some years ago to an aviation friend near Swindon, I thought I'd show him Wroughton - after all, we'd been everywhere else worth mentioning that trip.....we drove in, lots of people were busy erecting things, looked like landscape gardeners or similar. We were viewed like aliens! I found someone involved in the museum, who flatly refused to allow us a quick trip through, in spite of our aviation connections. I really don't know why I accepted his flat refusal with such politeness. What a w$%ker! Of course I understand his reasons...bla bla

How the PFA ever got their ok to stage a rally there gawd only knows. I expect all those flying things ruined the tarmac for ever.

Science Museum and trees...? Wrong subject, Carruthers!

Reminded me of a visit to the Railway Museum at Leeds, there was a TV quiz programme being aired, and several locos had been sent to the shed round the back (for want of a better description). We went r t b and asked the foreman if we could view them and he too said, no, what for, they're all the same, just a load of bl$$dy iron. I could've creased his cranium with a coupling!

call you back for vespers