PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CNS RWY15 EOSID
Thread: CNS RWY15 EOSID
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2016, 09:05
Snakecharma

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Buzzbox

I have no doubt the procedure you describe meets the requirements, when designing procedures in my day we didn't have the option of using lnav nor did we have the option of using a truncated splay, so as a consequence I and others were much more conservative, certainly the continuously expanding splay brought many more obstacles into play and as a result the weight was better for an immediate turn than going up the valley.

My preference, when designing escape procedures, was (as I don't do this stuff any more) to shift any turn as far as possible down the track on the basis that an engine failure will never happen on day 1 of a trip on a cavok day when you are completely rested, but sure as hell will happen at the end of a long trip, when you have had a crappy sleep the night before, when it is pissing down and night time, so the easier you can make the procedure whilst not penalising yourself too much in relation to payload, so that when you have the "oh ****" moment it doesn't turn to crap. This of course is exactly the opposite to my discussion re the CNS 15 departure and the preference for an immediate (DER) turn, but my misgivings re the ability of crews to maintain the appropriate tracking (remember we didn't have access to LNAV) whilst handling the emergency meant that my preference was to turn left and get out of dodge.