PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CNS RWY15 EOSID
Thread: CNS RWY15 EOSID
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2016, 23:41
OK4Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm late to the discussion, so I hope I can add something useful.

We fly A330-300s out of CNS and have done for more than 20 years now.

Our procedures state that if we have already commenced the left turn when the failure occurs (in other words, we have reached 400' aal) then we keep the turn going.

If the failure happens before the start of the left turn, then we follow the EOSID which takes us straight down the valley.

I have no doubt that the aircraft will have adequate performance to keep us clear of the ground, but occasionally when the weather is a bit poor, we suggest to ourselves that we may "interpret" the start of the left turn and take what may be a better option with regards to terrain clearance. The handling aspects of the aircraft in a left turn at max weight could be challenging though (normal SID states 25 deg minimum AOB, but of course EO is max 15 deg AOB - so if one is late to start the turn one might end up a bit closer to terrain than is ideal).

edited to add: Half our departures are to BNE, so very light weight, the other half are to HKG. very close to max weight, so that can play a part of the decision making process.

Last edited by OK4Wire; 2nd Sep 2016 at 23:44. Reason: as above.