PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What about TK1815 ?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2016, 05:10
HundredPercentPlease

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
RAT 5,

That's how it was because the aircraft and aids were all a bit basic. And it worked, with only the occasional CFIT. Visual flying is just a skill, like raw data instrument flying, and like complex automation flying.

Where does a modern pilot learn and develop the visual flying skill?
  • He does maybe 80 hours on his MPL course, and most of the visual flying is done round one airport at a stage in your career when everything is pretty "exciting".
  • He goes off to learn how an A320 or 737 works in the sim, and then goes on line to fly ILS to ILS. Or VOR (GPS overlay). Or NDB (GPS overlay). Or GNSS. We now even get "RNAV visual overlays" for some visual approaches.
  • Visual approaches in Europe are becoming rarer and rarer, so the crusty old ex-TP Captain flies them because the FO just doesn't have the skill or practice.
  • The FO gets his command.

And that's where we are. It's a function of improved aids and improved aircraft. The only option I can see is to routinely un-improve your aircraft to gain or retain the skill, however that is seen as increasing operational risk (and more importantly increasing personal risk to the pilot if everything is not perfect) and not in accordance with TEM.

To be fair, most cadet-to-command pilots I see are good. It's just the small number of reduced skillset pilots in that position is increasing, but it's not their fault. In my opinion it's the heavily punitive nature of airline managers in the event of things not going perfectly. "What the hell were you doing a visual for when there was a perfectly good VOR - tell me about your TEM in that brief - your decision making is in question - you're fired".