PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maintenance and Pilots on the ball.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2016, 02:15
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thought I would share another one.

With a class coming up in November this is timely. This fellow is a lovely B737 pilot with a gorgeous RV8 (LAME Maintained). And a real student of the science. Well done sir!

Gday David,

I've now installed the Dynon EMS D10 into my RV8 and it is fantastic. The engine has been running roughly, but still (just) passing the 1800 RPM mag check*. With the engine monitor and the knowledge from the course to really use it, I could fly without being terrified by the rough running because I could easily see the cause, and after landing I was able to ask my LAME to replace the lower plug on the number 3 cylinder to fix the problem.

Last month I flew with my LAME mate from America in his RV7 who is a true believer of the 50 ROP technique. After hearing me out, he let me run the engine as lean of peak. One of the CHTs was higher than he liked and he was about to shove the mixture in to fix it. I persuaded him to let me lean it out a fraction more, and when the CHTs all dropped 10 degrees you should have seen his jaw drop. He promised me he'll be going to do the course at Ada.

Love the knowledge to use the D10 - it's like having little windows in all the cylinders.

Keep up the good work. I'm trying my best to spread the word about you guys.

Cheers,

Rob

* I also get that a mag check isn't as good as a higher power in-flight check