PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Future Accommodation Model
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2016, 22:48
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If it puts an end to the if not illegal (is marital status not a protected characteristic under equality law?) then frankly morally questionable discrimination against singlies i.e. those in PStat Cat 5, it will be a significant step forward. For too long home owning 'singlies' of all hues have suffered when doing weekly commutes and having to pay to live in during the week whilst maintaining a home, whilst those legally married or in civil partnerships but doing the same weekly commute and with the same domestic commitments pay nothing. Its almost as if the system is stuck in a time warp that expects unmarried personnel to live in rather than wanting a degree of balance to life.

However, the concern I have looking at the link is whether the options presented are discrete and fixed. What if you already have a home and are settled in a part of the county but posted elsewhere? Will they retain any form of service accommodation on base, SLA specifically? If they get rid of everything will personnel who have their own homesbe eligible to take advantage of any package designed to help you rent at your unit location if posted away from home? If not, it will force people to make some difficult decisions if they are posted away from a fixed home location (spouse career, kids' school etc) and then have to pay to rent as well, that would become very expensive very quickly. As such, I think there will always be a requirement for an element of SLA as a minimum even if they do everything they can to ditch SFA. Not sure how that fits in with th cost saving principles here though.

Last edited by Melchett01; 1st Sep 2016 at 23:23.