PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta-3 & Phase Lag
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2003, 09:09
Dave_Jackson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Just the facts

Nick,

I truly appreciate and respect your vast knowledge. You provide information and you provoke thought. During the course of this thread, I have tended to vacillate; it has been an oscillation between the strength of your spoken word versus research, logic and reason.

IMNSHO your conceptualization of delta-3 is wrong. You don't understand delta-3 and you don't understand what I am saying.

You have just said;
" The belief that the real phase angle is 90 degrees is where you and Lu are stuck."
" You believe that it must flap at exactly 90 degrees."

Don't put words in my mouth. Other than in reference to a basic teetering rotor, I have NEVER EVER said that a phase angle must or should be 90-degrees.

Lu's concern about the missing 18-degrees can be discussed later. Furthermore, it is easily explained, if you understand delta-3.

If you want to disseminate false information and then run away with a " Nick has reached a nice place to sign off. Adios!" that's your decision.

But, while you are running, here is a little thing to ponder;

You question the statement; "However, I see nothing that will cause the rotor to flap faster." This statement was made in respect to a rotor with delta-3, NOT a rotor with flapping hinge offset.

Consider these facts;
The swashplate determines the blade pitch.
The blade pitch determines the blade flap.
In a basic teetering hinge rotor, the ration of pitch to flap is 1 to 1.
Delta-3 is located between the swashplate and the blade pitch.
Delta-3 removes pitch.

Please explain how the hell a delta-3 rotor can flap further or faster than a basic teetering rotor. ????

It can't, and Wayne Johnson in 'Helicopter Theory' will be happy to mathematically explain it all to you.

Last edited by Dave_Jackson; 3rd Aug 2003 at 09:30.