PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taking a job with Emirates when in a relationship
Old 31st Aug 2016, 23:04
Rapscalion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BondiLoz, I can speak from personal experience here (although somewhat outdated) and it IS possible to make long distance work.
I joined Emirates in 2007, and had been with my partner for 2 years before joining and are still together today.

When I was there- again, I am sure things have changed- I was in one of the few crew accommodations that were not entirely crew, and as a result the security was somewhat more relaxed. If you were good to them, they were good to you and were not too concerned with who was coming and going as long as you didn't cause trouble. When he came to visit, there was no issue with him staying with me.

In our situation, it was difficult for the first few months, especially during training when there was no option to go home- but once I started flying, I was able to get a Sydney flight at least once a month, sometimes twice, and if not I could at least get a Brisbane or Melbourne which meant we would usually see each other at least twice a month.

It certainly wasn't an ideal situation, and probably wouldn't work for everyone, but it worked for us. I was always only going to do one contract (3 years) so i am not sure if this is only temporary for you or you are planning on doing it long term, so we always had something of a countdown.

As I say, everyone and every relationship is different, but in my experience it did work. It wasn't without its bumps in the road but if you are serious and him not being in a position to move over, don't completely despair at the idea of long distance.

As much as I would bemoan Emirates now, and was thoroughly over it when I left (I ended up staying 3 and a half years) I will say it was a great experience to see places you would never have thought to go and see. You work damn hard for it- and from all accounts a lot harder now- but you will also take a lot away from it.