PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are Police Helicopters Really Necessary?
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2016, 21:40
HEMS chap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oddly enough PAN I agree with a lot of those points. I don't agree with the fact you can demand/or expect a service when your in need.......... they are charities who strive to do that but its bloody expensive you know. Thats like demanding that the RNLI ( whom I admire greatly) pitch up when needed, yes they do but they as well are a charity and sadly the end result is someone has to do the maths with funding........ its kinda nuts when me you and Jo public are demanding that a charity provides a service. SAR and police do a 24 hr service of course, well the police soon in various bases ( subject to aviation norms, of weather etc etc etc)
As you say NPAS and SAR are a national thing so 24 hr cover is provided....... with government backing, HEMS charities would probably love to use the wording.... a solid commitment to night 24 hour OPS at all our units...........But as always its all about funding......if what you say is right about units who are night flying bringing their operating hours back, I am quite sure ( hope) they have scrutinised that to death to make sure they they are doing it for the right reasons.