PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another attempted Serviceman abduction, this time Aldershot, be careful out there
Old 31st Aug 2016, 08:33
Wander00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some years back I spent quite a lot of time with the Army, learning to be an accountant. Three or four years later go down to breakfast in a farmhouse in the sticks about 10 km from Tours (that's in France on the Loire). Another couple come in to breakfast, and they seem very familiar, then it dawns - OM at the army base, he is head steward, she is mess book keeper (they now live about 15km from me here). We pass pleasantries and go our separate ways. back at the Yacht Club I have a former 3 Para officer working for me. "Here Bloggs, trade test. Colonel calls you in and says you are next Mess Sec. You go to sort handover and by accident discover steward and book keeper are an "item". What do you do?" Response, quick as a flash "Ask Colonel to appoint someone else as Mess Sec." I cast no aspersions, but as an accountant it is the sort of circumstance that would always get the adrenalin going.
A few years earlier ding some consultancy was a bit unhappy about the accounting function at a client, dug a bit further and found accountant had employed his (married, different surname) sister as bookkeeper. Started the hunt and uncovered about £100k worth of fraud. So you guys and girls with non-public secondary duties, keep your eyes, and ears, open