PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best combo for starting a flying club
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2016, 23:44
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know what length or surface your farm strip has, but I'd suggest a C150/152 isn't the best choice, nor anything with small wheels.

I wouldn't think the likes of the DA20 would be much chop as a strip machine either.

I'd be going for a PA28 or C172 especially if this will be the initial and likely only aircraft to start with.

The PA28 and C172 give you versatility and performance. They can fill the training, 3 to 4 seat, and touring roles. While being slightly more expensive to run that a C150/152 the better utilisation you're likely get will likely mean your operating costs will not be much different than if you had a C150/152.

Some people will advocate the C172 as being a better strip machine than a PA28. While the high wing can offer advantages with respect to wing clearance around fences etc, the PA28 is still a good strip machine when flown accurately.

PA28's in my opinon are a cheaper airframe to maintain.

If you're concerned about back up for one aircraft, look around to see who might have a similar type that you can lease at short notice.

Then once you have the work to justify two aircraft get another one the same as the first. Common types/models have several advantages. e.g. it doesn't matter which aircraft you use for any particular job, one can be the back up for the other, as an operator you only need to become familiar with the quirks of one type, students can fly either one meaning you can be doing dual in one and the other is being used for solo training.

Last edited by 27/09; 31st Aug 2016 at 07:51.