PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Baby grows again
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2003, 02:16
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TwinAisle,

Good news indeed for CWL and Baby. I also give the CWL management full marks for its publicity machine.

Whenever a new route commences at CWL the main evening newspaper for the West Country, the Bristol Evening Post, will carry an article publicising it, pointing out that West Country travellers now have more choice, even when the route is already flown from BRS, as with Prague. Today’s edition of the Post carried full details of the new bmibaby service.

It has to be said that the Post does have something of a vendetta against BRS, mainly because of its car parking policy and charges, but also because it believes that the city of Bristol should have a much bigger and better airport, and anything much less than Heathrow size is a black mark against the city. It will therefore highlight anything that might give the impression that other cities are better served by their airports.

And you would be surprised how many local people believe that Bristol is poorly served when in fact, for a city of its size and catchment area, the services are pretty good. Only last year the presenter of the BBC Radio Bristol morning phone-in programme commented, when airports were being discussed, “Of course they have wonderful air services at Cardiff. Much better than Bristol.”

Anyway, I think the Baby can expect some trade for Prague from this side of the Severn, due not a little to the Bristol Evening Post.

Re the baby service to Geneva, given that the first aircraft is now full, and so early in the year, I wonder why baby doesn’t try a daily service or perhaps a 4/5 rotations per week, for the ski season at least. There is no easyJet service to GVA from BRS, although I did read somewhere recently that the route might be serviced by a Geneva-based easy aircraft. Whether this was pie-in-the-sky or wishful thinking, or whether it has a grain of truth, I have no way of knowing.