PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A RAAF Mirage wheels up landing story worth reading
Old 30th Aug 2016, 08:23
recceguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First I do agree with Tower Dog - after such a mishap, no real need for a 3-pages essay where you create more questions than excuses. Interestingly, did he keep his position after such an event ? In my Air Force, in such a case (where by the way there had been no malign intent or intentional breach of orders) it was a couple of months still in the squadron, then... surprise, an assignment to fly single-prop trainers somewhere (or the right seat of a transport heavy - thus making your life easier in the future to join the airlines ! Always can find a good thing from a bad thing )
For those who flew at Butterworth, there was no sarcasm intended. Those comments had been reported to me by a RSAF F5 pilot, who had been hearing that from an Israeli exchange pilot. You cannot judge an entire Air Force by a one-day DACT (even if everybody has been doing it, either US, French, Germans, Belgians, Italians...) - maybe it was a young pilot, or a bad day for another one, who knows ?
I got my first OPS qualifications on the Mirage III before converting to other types more modern and with better flying qualities. Like the F104, it was an airframe designed at the end of the 50s, with Mach 2 in mind and zoom intercept of high-level Soviat bombers. Coming back to land was a little bit of stress during the first 200 hrs (I logged 700+hrs on it)
Every time I had back-seaters who were not familiar with the type I didn't try to impress or scare them, instead I used to put them in confidence to enjoy the ride. Much too easy to make the guy (or the lady) puke to come back and say "how strong are those guys!" Too easy.