PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Learjet forced to land by military interceptors
Old 15th Sep 2001, 15:16
Jackonicko

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
Security can never be 100% but:

1) Tell me that four Arab hijackers could have got on four simultaneous European flights, with weapons or without. Tell me you wouldn't search their hand baggage more thoroughly than that of the unfortunate headcase who caused the air-rage incident to which you referred.

2) Tell me that security on US domestic flights was generally anywhere near as good as it generally is 'over here'.

3) Reassure me that the different mindset between the US and Europe does not contribute to the problem. Over here security is regarded as a necessary irritant, and the need for it is not questioned. Over there, security precautions are seen as an assault on individual freedom. The following is a genuine, unedited quote from an American friend sent in the aftermath of the tragedy:

"What I don't want is any domestic security measure that isn't necessary. The metal detectors and guards at airports, installed circa. 1970, were supposed to be temporary. Whatever security measures are implemented now should be appropriate and temporary. I don't want us to give up who we are."

It would be cheap to point out that what you are is a 'soft target'.

Tell me that such views aren't representative of any Americans, or that they don't make any difference.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that it couldn't happen elsewhere, just that it was easier to target US domestic flights. And I believe that it probably still is. Tell me what security precautions have been instituted by US carriers that make them safer or more secure than BA are already. Bear in mind that US carriers are already a more tempting target, and should be more secure.

I don't care whether BA gets back into the US in the first tranche, I used them as an example. Find me an airline more security conscious than El Al, then!

In any case, the overall point wasn't to be anti-American but to urge a considered and sensible response, not a kneejerk one driven by PR considerations. And, believe it or not, that's meant as a supportive act.

And, if it makes you feel any better, I'll hereby condemn Tony Blair's nonsensical 'not over Central London ban' (hijackers will obey that one) and the termination of all private flying as being equally facile window dressing.

This is not intended as a nationalistic slanging match.

Random thoughts:
Suggestions as to how it might be done better are not meant as bitter insults or affronts to national pride.

The automatic assumption that American (or Brit, or European) is best may not help.

The perfect is the enemy of the good.

Some of us have been dealing with terrorism for decades.

If we didn't care, we wouldn't post.

Sincere condolences.