PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mr Skidmore resigned
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2016, 10:55
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Shed dog, you can stick "respectful self constraint" up your proverbial. The CEO role requires you to land on your feet, running. You have Six months to get a major run on the board and twelve months for a recognizable major achievement.

I cannot overemphasize this. You do not get 20 months to make changes. you have a twelve month window to metaphorically hack off heads and tear the place apart. After that you can spend your time repairing the wound and rehabilitating the patient.

To put that another way, the achievements come at the front of your tenure, not at the end. To do otherwise is like a football team relaxing for three quarters and pinning all their hopes on an all out effort in the final quarter.

this is why I said the good AVM was not going to succeed. A CEO needs to make an immediate and public impact on the organization. 'familiarization", "getting your feet under the table", "briefings" - all BS. You need to have an action plan ready to implement on day 1 week 1. if you have to dick around, you haven't done your homework.

"restructures" don't cut it. the same test awaits Skidmores replacement; immediate, public major real change that stamps the CEOs authority on the business.

the job is like being a football coach. no excuses. Sadly Skidmore didn't set the world on fire and after 29 months he wasn't going to be able to.

This is not a personal reflection on AVM Skidmore. I could go into more detail of the whys and wherefore so except I'm on the iPad.

Last edited by Sunfish; 29th Aug 2016 at 11:12.