PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A RAAF Mirage wheels up landing story worth reading
Old 28th Aug 2016, 12:40
recceguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
" operating within 50 nm of Tullamarine, and below 10,000 feet, CAA required all aircraft to fly under 250 knots to help air traffic controllers manage aircraft movements "

What a bunch of turists ! who was in charge ? is the AF in that country in a position of submission in front of civilian ATC ?

" by flying below 250 knots the undercarriage warning light was on most of the time and, after a very short time of operating out of Avalon, Mirage pilots learnt to ignore it. In my accident flight, shortly after take-off when I cut the afterburner and pulled back power to stay below 250 knots, the undercarriage warning light came on and probably remained flashing for the whole of my sortie. I don’t know for sure because, like all other Mirage pilots operating in Melbourne, I had learnt to ignore this warning light."

Incredible !

Also how many times does it say "the French tale" ? because obviously the French had to be blamed for that.... trying to find an excuse maybe ?
Having been a Mirage III pilot for years, I'm more than confused about what he has been writing down. What he says about the way RAAF and Armée de l'air were supposed to land the aircraft differently is complete BS.
Many years ago Singapore had some Israeli pilots in exchange. After a couple of DACT with the RAAF Mirages of Butterworth (Penang, for those who don't remember) they were completely astonished by their performance - in a bad way.