PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Repatriation to Poland
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2016, 12:10
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
TTN, I am quite aware of the Aircrew Europe Star, and of the France Germany Star. My point (badly made and for which I apologise) is that the European Bombing Campaign was just that, a separate campaign in its own right. The night bombing campaign of Bomber Command was second only to that of the Kreigsmarine U-boat one in the loss rate for any major military organisation in the west. I also know (having probably learned it from your good self ;-) that the Aircrew Europe Star is known "in the trade" as the BC medal.

The Battle of the Atlantic was waged primarily at sea, though its Star was rightly awarded to those who also participated under or over it. I feel that the same logic should apply to the air "Battle of Germany", as I believe Harris labelled his Strategic Bombing Offensive. It was quite apart from the land campaign after D-Day which was rightly acknowledged by the France Germany Star.

If Bomber Harris had won his bid to have a campaign star for his Bombing Campaign then the bitter controversy that has since lasted to this day (though ameliorated by time, the Grim Reaper, and the recent award of a clasp) could have been avoided. It was just another petty blow by the Establishment against the brave young men of many nationalities that fought that long and bloody battle throughout the European War.

I know we have been round this buoy before and I do not wish to add to any thread drift much more. To be fair too, I never heard Victor complain of it either, his complaints were more immediate and personal. In his heavily accented and limited English he would explode with a "F****** *****, I will crush his f****** skull!" It was then time to make one's apologies and leave....!