PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best Budget Headset for PPL training (under £250)
Old 28th Aug 2016, 12:07
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still using the David Clark I bought new in 1982 - 'still going strong. I have bought other DC's in the mean time, never another brand. I've tried others, (and have a lot good to say about Bose A20's), but DC does the job.

For training in a 152, used DC's in decent condition are all you need. Don't invest in expensive noise cancelling yet. In a 152, it'll not make enough difference for you.

A measure of the value of choice of a headset is how easily it can be repaired, should it need it. The Bose A20 I borrowed last week has a loose mic pivot. If you bounce a landing, it droops. I took it to the avionics shop (where I was purchasing my most recent DC headset). They could not fix that. They phoned the local Bose repair shop, who also was not able to recommend a simple fix for that. I returned it in the condition I borrowed it, rather than better. I have found that DC's can be easily repaired and adjusted as required.

While selecting a new noise cancelling headset for my louder aircraft last week, I flew down with the borrowed Bose to baseline my expectations (I agree that Bose have made themselves something of a quality standard, with very effective noise cancelling). I tried the new DC One-X, and AKG AV100 in the aircraft. They both worked well, and seemed equally effective, though I chose the DC simply because I have faith in their product support. But all the chat of noise cancelling is beyond the scope of the OP's question. My advice, buy a used DC headset, and have it repaired if needed, It'll last you, and be the very best long term value.