PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2016, 11:46
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The HCAP is bigger than the individual, and not deserving of the spiteful and vitriolic comments made by many on this thread.
...Is true.

I'm sure that TCT, and perhaps the HCAP would be delighted if this topic faded into the past, and was forgotten. They could go on about their mutual and independent business, and put the past behind them. The sheer volume of discussion here (even if repetitive) is an indication that some people, for reasons they have stated, would like to see the honour of achievements correctly recognized.

The HCAP acting as the "bigger than the individual" has the opportunity to consider the impact on their image based upon their actions. They are, of course, entitled to award whatever to whomever, and accountable only to themselves, and other award recipients for their decisions. Those of us who are not associated with them have no right to expect our opinions to be considered in their decisions.

But at a more basic level, the term "pilot", as broad as it is, denotes a person of some achievement. Conferring honours on top of that could be seen to value or devalue the respect earned to simply call one's self a pilot. Established entities do all pilots a good service by carefully researching, and vetting whom is awarded what, and why.

whether this situation can be resolved remains open. The benefit, however, of the visibility here, is that people/entities will probably do their background checks better in the future before awarding or reporting aviation achievments. Just like reading accident reports, and thinking to yourself "I could have done that", the public visibility of this situation should keep organizations and the media sharp in the future.

Not all members agree with this medal award, but in the scheme of achievements over the years it is not something over which to die in a ditch.
Inside information, perhaps. Yes, the group should unanimously uphold the decision, but I hope that internally, big warning lights are flashing if respected members disapprove of voluntary action proposed by others. To me, the award would be an above doubt honour - this situation sure seems to have lots of doubt! No one should die in a ditch over this, but the relevance of the HCAP award will be spotlighted a little depending upon their choice of recipients.