PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex Lionheart/Spearpoint '84
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2016, 09:42
Wander00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both this one and the huge outload exercise in 79, as I was about to leave the TA - I was working the docks at Harwich and Felixstowe as a RCT TA Movements Officer - and was reminded by yesterday's M20 accident of a very long signal (about 6ft of paper) detailing how clearance for some of the equipment under German autobahn bridges was to be checked - with a long pole tied to the side of a land rover - apparently resurfacing since all the standard movement orders had been written meant there was doubt that some equipment on low loaders would have clearance. If the pole did not clear the underside of the bridge the equipment was to be unloaded, driven under the bridge under its own power, and then reloaded, which the signal prescribed in great detail.

Lionheart was my intro to working for Aunty Joan (Hopkins), an education in itself. it was during this exercise a couple of armed guards noticed a young woman in the fields outside the wire. "What are you doing?" said one. "Looking for wild oats" said the woman. "You are welcome in here" said the guard. Woman had no sense of humour and complained. Guards had one sided interview with the Boss.