PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2016, 19:21
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
LAA Rally at Sywell

If there was ever a superb opportunity for Tracey Curtis Taylor to display the Spirit of Artemis in a period location it is the forthcoming LAA Rally at Sywell.
http://www.lightaircraftassociation....ibit_info.html
However I find nothing in the LAA programme or indeed on TCT's website to suggest she will be arriving solo in the Stearman for a display plus question and answer session. Despite some wonderful flying weather in the UK the Stearman appears stuck in the Execujet hangar at Farnborough ever since it arrived back from the rapid rebuild by Ewald Gritsch.

I read this post on the LAA forum today which really sums up my thoughts on our modest "Aviatrix,adventurer and inspirational" speaker.
Re: Tracey Curtis-Taylor
Postby Chris Martyr » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:41 pm

Yes , maybe Brian's 'personal vendetta' was being a little over-critical. It's no more of a personal vendetta than the one being pursued by Frank Field against that lovely pair ,Sir Phil & Lady Green . No they didn't maim or kill anyone either , he simply received a knighthood for his 'Services to the Retail Industry'. :lol:
Fortunately , for the aviation community , Sam has had a lot more of an insight into all of this than many, due to his professional involvement earlier on and did well in exposing TC-T's somewhat embellished claims of achievement. Yes, I know that Sam has pursued this with a Jack Russell's degree of tenacity , but that may just be the catalyst that will dissuade this woman , who insults the world of recreational/grassroots aviators into any further of her travelling circus stunts.

I realise of course that all of this may have put the LAA into a slightly embarrassing position, as certain minor Royals and other Grand Poo-Pah's will probably have been instrumental in currying favour for this on TC-T's behalf . I don't believe it warrants 'heads rolling' , but releasing some kind of statement on the matter would probably help put a lid on it all as far as the LAA is concerned.

For many of us , this pastime we have is not just a 'hobby' and for many of us it is a complete lifestyle, a religion even. But we all know that it can be very unforgiving of misjudgements whether they may be unintentional ones or stupid ones , which is why the brave people who have done extraordinary things , some with very little publicity, some with none at all, are held in such admiration by the aviation community.
All she has managed to do is bring it all down to the level of celebrity/reality TV . So from my point of view it's 'Well Done Sam', a new lot of LAA awards will be on the way soon ,now let's look to the future , which hopefully will be devoid of pretenders like the one in question !
http://services.lightaircraftassocia...=4873&start=15
Well said Chris. The LAA should face facts and ask why a so called media savvy aviatrix was happy to accept the Bill Woodham Navigation award but not decent enough to either return it ,when the facts became known, or indeed explain herself at this years 70th Rally.

The Honourable Company Of Air Pilots are awarding her a Masters Medal for her aviation "outreach" programme but sadly she has not bothered to take any women flying in the biplane since she arrived back in the UK following the accident in Arizona months ago.

The LAA Chief exec has a foot in both camps so perhaps he can explain why it is so important TCT continues to have the backing of senior members of the GA elite when she clearly never undertook any solo flying.

footnote for new readers.
Prince Michael of Kent is patron of the LAA,a liverman of the HCAP and a keen supporter of TCT,

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 27th Aug 2016 at 19:38.