PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2016, 15:21
norse12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j0sh
Hi everyone!

I turned 18 today and am about to apply. I have been waiting for this ever since discovering the world of ATC a few years ago. Its been a pretty hard choice but I have decided to withdraw my university application in order to take a year out and try to gain a place as a trainee air traffic controller. I am aware that the chances are slim but it would be so great if i make it. Does anyone know of any 18/19 years olds that have made it? Looking for a quick morale boost XD.
@j0sh Yes 18/19 year olds do get on the course so don't let that put you off but make sure you have some experience of visiting a tower or control centre by the time it gets to stage 3 to back up your application. Most students are between 18-40 so quite a variety.
However to be honest I would say you don't need to take a year out for this. Firstly the application process can be a long one but you only need to take a day out for stage 2 and a day out for stage 3. And secondly because a lot of the people who get onto the course with NATS are actually successful in their second or third attempt, and you have to wait 2 years in between application attempts.
So by all means submit an application now (NATS are recruiting at the moment) but don't put your life on hold for this. Go to university if it is a course you are interested in, organise a tower visit if you can, gain some life experience, and just keep plugging away with the NATS applications alongside this. Hopefully you'll make it first attempt, but most people on the course had a couple of attempts before being successful! Good luck!