PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2016, 12:32
Flying Bear

Received 44 Likes on 5 Posts
G'day logansi,

Your concerns are genuine and you identify some legitimate challenges that you will need to overcome. However, they are not insurmountable and I reckon that you will feel a lot better once you decide on a course of action and start making tangible steps towards the goal...

All options have their pluses and minuses, however my input is that in my opinion it is best to steer away from fee help schemes. In the long run, they will cost you a heap more for your qualification as the "sausage factories" that rely on this source of income have many ways of parting you from money that you will have to repay down the track, and not necessarily with your professional development in mind. In short, your choice of training provider should not be based on whether they engage in the fee help scheme or not. Rather, you should research widely, seek mentoring and go with a training provider who you feel confident will provide you good quality training and not rip you off in doing so. The smaller schools, although more expensive at first glance, might give you better value in the big scheme of things and quite possibly prepare you better for industry. Don't be taken by the "airline academy" marketing - most likely your first few jobs / years in industry will be in GA flying piston engine aircraft in remote Australia - maybe posture your training to prepare for that and worry about "airline stuff" when you get some time up and are more attractive to real airlines...

Given your comments regarding employment in your home town, all this may mean moving away to seek work and take your flying lessons as you can afford them - unless you can secure finance from another means. Bloody hard and requires courage, I'm sure - but you earn credibility for doing this and credibility counts in this industry!

A cadetship is another way - but make sure you are aware of the likely outcomes at the end. From what I have heard / read, there are nightmare tales regarding employment from the Jetstar scheme and other schemes apparently ask more of you personally than you might feel appropriate... I've never been involved in such things - so only can offer what I learn through hearsay.

Regardless of my position on the matter, I cannot emphasise enough the value of wide research and finding a person(s) in the industry who you trust and are comfortable taking advice from.

I hope you find a way forward!