PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maroc 737 in loss-of-lift incident at FRA
Old 27th Aug 2016, 11:11
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dear PPRuNefolk

The RAM PR exercise is aimed at general flying public and really needs not be related to reality as long it paints company operations in positive light and info seems plausible to gal/guy who knows next to nothing about aviation. Visitors of PPRuNe, Airliners.net and similar fora represent statistically insignificant part of target public and their opinions be safely disregarded.

There are many ways one can make B737-700 behave in a way shown in the video: too early rotation, mistrimming, misloading, actual configuration lower than planned, actual weight higher than the one takeoff performance were calculated for and I'm pretty sure there are other ways I can't think of right now. As there were no damage or injury, chances are incident will be dealt with internally, within airline and any public knowledge of the investigation results will be strictly unofficial. As for potential BFU involvement, I don't expect any. Those who have read some of their recent incident reports and noticed their quality and time needed to prepare them can see that austerity measures are really working - not in the hyped way though.

700's certified takeoff flaps are 1, 25 and anything in between. If it occurs to you that you're 700 pilot and some of these are off limit to you, it's about the performance calculation package your company has bought. If one sets the wrong config but still in takeoff range, config alert will stay mum.

Tailstrike is possible on 700 but, unlike 800s, they really need to be pushed hard to perform so. WIWO700, usually it was flaps 1 takeoff with 18k derate and assumed temperature on top of everything. Personally I found 700s far more fun to fly than 800s and I yearn for the day when Southwest takes in TRDECs, Green Cards are given away liberally and EASA to FAA conversion is two days affair.

Take care

C