PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA28 Pre-flight checks/plug leads?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2003, 04:48
Thumpango

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre-Flight checks

Thank you for your comments and suggestions for other items to check! I have never been shown how to check the alternator belt but I do know about the Jesus bolt! Although, there again, it is not on the check list. I think someone told me about this somewhen.

My checklist, as supplied by the school, does not mention to check the condition of the spark plug leads or the alternator belt.
I only check these items because I deem it sensible and would be the sort of basics I would check on my car- (not before every trip though!)

I take the point that if 7 or more students check the plug leads every day and give them a gentle 'rocking' to check they are secure this could well cause damage.

Just a few other observations now, the landing lights on the PA28s I fly sometimes have blown. The school has introduced a rule that when doing circuits the landing light should not be on. Thereby saving wear on these items.

Likewise the Pitot heater. This is on the checklist, but very often is not working with both elements, ie. no warmth from it on the initial walkaround and check of lights, stall warner etc.

No ammeter indication either on the instrument checks, (both elements dead?) apparently 'no problem' as we dont use the pitot heater anyway (presumably for the work we are about to do).

Pprune is a good sounding board for these observations, any comments, as before, are very gratefully received. When you are a student you don't necessarily know what the 'Norm' is.