PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it all worth it?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2003, 04:35
Crosswind Limits

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I was also 29 when I started. Have all the paperwork now but no airline job......yet! Instructing at weekends and run a small business in the week.

Doesn't matter what Oxford say there's NO guarantee of a job. Unless you're sponsored everyone takes a gamble with pilot training. As far as type ratings go, if things continue the way they are now, before long a type rating will be part of ab initio training and no one will bat an eyelid! That will be a sad day indeed. For all our sakes I hope I'm wrong!

Is it all worth it? Only you will know the answer to that. I think if you stick at it long enough you will most probably achieve it BUT at what cost? I hear people say flying is the ultimate mistress and that's a pretty accurate statement. It's addictive and if it's in your blood I guess you'll have to give it a go but be prepared to spend a fortune and if you have a wife and family make sure they don't feel left out EVER. Also be ready for sleepless nights, waking up with a cold sweat wondering what the hell possessed you to become a pilot. There'll be lots of dark moments too, when you feel the whole world is against you and nothing seems to go right. Stick at it!

The industry is fickle and unstable and most pilots accept the insecurity that brings. When things are good they are VERY good but when things are bad, you soon reach the bowels of hell!

If you want stability and security this is not the industry for you. No one enters flying to make loads of money!

Good luck.