PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sky Demon Requirements
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2016, 19:33
ChickenHouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always vote for the cellular version due to the internal GPS. It will be working in 90+% of all cases without an external GPS and you still have the option to use an external GPS also.

You could go for the BadElf plug in, but I advice against as this is a connection prone to breaking in the cockpit and you cannot put it where ever you want.

If you go external, go wireless GPS and go Bluetooth. Simple reason - if you go GPSIP over WLAN you will loose the option to use the data net while using GPS and having a rainfall overlay at 1,500ft AGL in invaluable.

When I started to use moving map software with the original iPad (quite a while ago) I decided to go cellular/GPS and try to get along without external GPS as long as I feel unsafe. This did not happen until today and I am still on the internal GPS of the cellular model, now on my 6th iPad.

The current iPad will most probanly run a full flying day on internal power, so yes, power connection is nice, but seldom necessary (and finding a 12VUSB charger which causes no interference is science).

Last edited by ChickenHouse; 26th Aug 2016 at 19:49.