PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SkyDemon
Thread: SkyDemon
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2016, 14:02
ChickenHouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm training for my PPL and I've started using SkyDemon Light to generate my PLOG. In my PLOG the level for one of my waypoints is shown with a red background which I assume is a warning. I cannot work out what it is warning me about? If anyone can tell me I would be grateful.
Do us and yourself a favor and change your mindset!

First. Yes, you will use solutions like Skydemon, Jeppesen MFDVFR, Garmin, or whatsoever later in your career, but I strongly advice to DO SO AFTER you finished you PPL. Use a paper chart, a calculator, a pencil, colored stickies, paper and hand drawings of wind triangles. Once you really master that, you are ready to get an electronic brain extension. Skydemon has a very special way to calculate certain numbers, which is clearly different to what you do by hand (i.e. fuel: understand that part first by hand calculations). Also keep in mind that important things are NOT COVERED (and most certainly will not be covered in the foreseeable future) by a Skydemon PLOG, such as start- and landing distances! We had an inexperienced pilot wanting to go from LOWZ on a hot summer day and it only saved him by surprise when a friend saw his PLOG before T/O - he was in serious danger (660m RWY; elevation 2,470ft; 90F; 150HP; ...)!

Second. RTFM, read the manual instead of blasting such questions through the internet. You will easily find that Skydemon shows a error if your planned flight altitude is below MSA Minimum Safe Altitude. Read also the manual how to set that. But again, do that after you learned what MSA is by understanding your text books, SERA and your local airspace.

Last edited by ChickenHouse; 26th Aug 2016 at 14:14.