PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Pay v's Costs for Cadets
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2016, 11:12
Enzo999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MaverickPrime
Excellent words of wisdom Normal Pilot.

Countries like UAE, India, China etc are increasing their capacity to produce professional workers like Pilots, Doctors who are as well trained as their western counterparts but are willing/have to do the job for a lower rate of pay. Therefore, in the future we will have no choice but to lower our standard of living in order to compete. The west is just not growing at the rate it was 40/50 years ago to sustain our increasingly high standard of living. Thats not a reality that I want to embrace anymore than the next guy, but there is nothing that I can do other than prepare for it.

On another note, in terms of accepting decreasing T&Cs - pilots in BA accepted a decrease in T&Cs, but I haven't seen the same level of contempt (not that they deserve it) reserved for BA pilots. The BA pay scale has been stretched from 24 years out to 34 years which will see a significant reduction in career earnings, average earnings and pensions, not least, a lot of the new joiners will never see the top of the pay scale. BA is the benchmark for T&Cs, if they can reduce T&Cs there, they can do it anywhere!

The last thing I would note is; you don't start at the top of your industry/company and work your way down!
You don't see the same level of contempt because when was the last time you heard of a BA pilot paying for his own training, or being paid by the hour or being denied basic employment rights or working for free during training or providing their own water to drink or not being allowed to join a union or being forced to moved country at the drop of a hat, shall I go on?

For what it's worth, you're both right, nothing will ever change in this industry and I imagine it will get considerable worse. Just surprised everyone is so willing to sit back and speak up in support of it's downfall.

If like it has been suggested I am just as guilty in driving down Terms and conditions by accepting my new job then I would like to apologise to the whole piloting community it was never my intention to do this and I hope you will all forgive me!