PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best Budget Headset for PPL training (under £250)
Old 26th Aug 2016, 07:16
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Lots of people like wearing pale green - and they work, albeit with rather high clamping forces and an occasional incompatibility with non-DC headsets on the same intercom.

If it's budget, go with Harry Mendelsson. I have used their budget HM40s for years for most of my GA flying. A couple of years ago, as an experiment, I took those and a pair of new DCs on a long trip, swapping them a few times. Apart from the clamping force, there was absolutely no difference in quality that I could detect.

My first HM40 I bought in 2003, in 2013 it misbehaved (cable went and it went quiet in one ear) - I sent it to HM, and they did a complete overhaul and sent it back for £50. I wore it this week, was working fine still, albeit that I treated myself to a new one last year and it's now usually my passenger spare.

Aviation Headsets | HM Series | Mendelssohns

I've yet to actually try out the HM ANR headset. Has anybody else? For learning, that is still cheaper than a passive pair of David Clarks and on paper, looks like a fantastic deal.

G