PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAAC Medical
Thread: CAAC Medical
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2016, 14:20
Testing123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Chinese medical process was (probably still is) a joke. My initial experience took 3 days -- and I passed. The one at the 6 month point was a little saner -- about a half a day. Then, the annual exam was a repeat of the first experience but done in 2 days vice 3. I saw guys from around the world, holders of a first class medical for years -- fail their CAAC exams. No medical = no job ... Damn near impossible to predict.

That being said, in this worldwide market, China isn't the last place I'd go but it nears that position on the list. I left there 5 years ago. Except for the ever present pollution and the multitude of other environmental issues, I didn't mind living there. But, flying there was a whole different thing. I'm guessing that there are exceptions, but my overall opinion of aviation in China is that they lag by decades (notice the 's' ) in aviation safety, infrastructure, oversight, standardization, personnel management .... and, do you really think your contract means anything there? You have ZERO job protection. Your job as a captain (in their minds) isn't to be that last safety stop, to make sound aeronautical decisions, or to exercise good judgment based on your years of experience -- your job is to do what management tells you to do.

Anyway ... My $0.02. Free advice is worth what you pay for it.