PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Touring
Thread: Touring
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2016, 22:34
eagleflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@funfly, well said and very true!
I just burned many Euros for a one-day-trip to the sea with my girls. Iīm sure I wonīt miss the Euros in half a year, but we will certainly remember a quality family trip. I still remember the trips we did 20 years ago in a 30€/hr motorglider landing on every airstrip we could find on the coast, living for free in a tent next to the airplane...it was worth it! And donīt laugh, 30€ (DM at this time) were serious money when I was younger.

@Gulfstream, land at glider and microlight sites, they tend to be cheaper and good fun, especially on weekends, accomodation will mostly come along somehow. I think that is valid anywhere in Europe.
I would recommend not to fly much more than 250NM per leg if you donīt fly a fast machine. Thereīs too many things to see, too many people to meet and 400NM in a C172 tend to get boring, at least for me.
Fly club airplanes at a reasonable price, even consider joining a club far away from your home airfield. It might be worth it if you want to fly longer trips regularly! I know of a guy in Holland who rents in central Germany for his trips.
Since you come from Ireland...seriously consider renting in Central Europe, if you donīt want to do the transit every time. Thatīs the good thing about an EASA-license, you could fly D-/PH-/OY-/whatever-reg....and a Ryanair return-trip over to the continent is sometimes cheaper than an hour rental!

So yes, do it as long and much as possible if itīs fun for you, share it with friends and build long lasting memories. I guess sitting in a rocking chair looking back what one could have done is not what we want.