PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are Police Helicopters Really Necessary?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2016, 17:01
Nigerian Expat Outlaw

Nigerian In Law

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
During Vs After ?

Sas,

I think I see where you're coming from, but apart from events known of in advance (e.g. the announcement of the verdict in the Freddie Gray trial), and given the extremely wide sweep of this technology, wouldn't this be better used for footage obtained as evidence after an incident/crime has occurred ? It would take a huge number of analysts poring over live footage which would have to be broken down into manageable zones, where most of the time nothing is happening to see someone doing something bad. Then they call the appropriate emergency service who dispatch the nearest available resource. All this would be cost averse and not very timely surely ?

Police helicopters with human (i.e. common sense, instinct etc) input can be and are proven to have been extremely effective in apprehending criminals during or immediately following such an event. Car chases, people hiding in undergrowth/on rooftops, cannabis factories (heat signature), drug dealers in the act of plying their trade to mention just a few.

Just my two penneth.

NEO