PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accidental weapon discharge whilst on the ground.
Old 24th Aug 2016, 03:27
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ollie Onion
Who remembers this one!
The USAir incident was similar in that the gun was inadvertently discharged while attempting to comply with a protocol for securing the weapon.

From an earlier PPRuNe discussion of these firearm discharge incidents:

Originally Posted by Airbubba
Also, it must be pointed out that Arab airlines have been victims of many hijackings over the years. I've flown into LHR with local Arab skymarshals in years past. One might presume the Israelis have done likewise for some time now as well. It is a little humorous to see the alleged furor over Western countries doing the same thing.

We did have a couple of guns fire accidentally in flight. One was supposedly secured in a storage area so the explanation of the discharge was difficult. Another incident involving a 747 classic occurred on final to LHR. A skymarshal was sitting on a cockpit jumpseat trying to take the last round out of his weapon to prepare for UK arrival formalities. The gun was jammed and he attempted to free the round with a little extra force. Somehow, the round was fired into the base of the captain's seat. The local pilots heard the bang and looked back at the expat PFE. He told me that he scanned his gauges, everything was OK and then they looked back and saw the skymarshal with an apologetic demeanor. Fortunately, no injuries in either of these incidents.
And, seems like years ago a FedEx pilot (not Auburn Calloway) accidentally fired a round into the American Airlines ticket counter in ANC while trying to get an offline jumpseat home. I believe he was traveling with a hunting rifle as a checked item.

Last edited by Airbubba; 24th Aug 2016 at 03:57.