PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying for Qantas Regional Vs Longhaul?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2016, 22:41
itsnotthatbloodyhard

Received 67 Likes on 27 Posts
There are some really good replies here. It sounds as if you've got a pretty decent work/life balance along with a reasonably enjoyable job - you'd have to think very carefully before giving that away, if you're already happy with your lot in life.

My thoughts:-

Long-haul flying isn't really better or more interesting. The interesting and fun bits are at the start and finish of any sector. The middle bit is usually fairly dull. With long-haul, the middle bit lasts a long time.

With long-haul, you might get to see lots of new and exotic destinations, but it depends a lot on the airline. Once you've been to Dallas or Singapore 50 or 100 times, the novelty wears off.

It turns out that your willy doesn't actually get any bigger if you fly an A380 instead of a Dash 8. If you are short and unattractive, like me, you will remain short and unattractive.

You'll probably get longer chunks of time off between trips if you fly long-haul, which can be appealing. Bear in mind, though, that it may take a couple of days to recover from jet lag or a long overnight sector.

For me, flying widebodies on shortish sectors is about as good as it gets, but everyone's different. As always, be careful what you wish for.