PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 single engine taxi out threats
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2016, 11:30
CaptainMongo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just like we only manage errors and not eliminate them we only manage distractions. We don't eliminate them.

Can SE taxi be a distraction for a FO? Sure if he or she hasn't been properly trained, or if the Captain isn't taking into account FO work load or experience or any number of other factors a good Captain should be evaluating to determine whether a two engine taxi is a safer course of action.

I conduct initial operating experience line events and our FO's flying the line for the first time are very comfortable and competent performing duties using SE taxi. Do I call for second engine start on the first leg of IOE earlier than I normally would - of course, by the second or third leg - usually not. Our FO's are conditioned through their simulator training to expect to taxi SE (as are our Captains)

The Captain calls for the control check after the second engine is started. Our procedure does not require the Captain to look inside the cockpit during the control check, the FO monitors the correct displacement on the F/CTL page.

As I stated earlier, I find SE taxi, when appropriate, easier - I'd rather taxi with idle or just above idle power than ride the brakes. Finally SE taxi is encouraged at our airline, it is not mandatory.