PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Comments On Fairford 2003
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2003, 21:35
The Swinging Monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Bright Thing,
I certainly don't claim to be an expert in all things airborne - but after 32 years of flying mainly 'heavies' I do know just a incy weenie little bit! And as for having a 'can do' attitude eh? ho ho!

The fact is that you, and most of your IAT volunteers are unable to take any form of criticism arn't you? You hate it, and anyone who complains in the slightest, you jump on.

I have been to IAT lots of times over the past 30+ years. As aircrew its NOT GOOD. We give up our weekend (just like you I know) get bussed around till 'kingdom come' get 'ripped off' with the prices! yes, this year the food in the aircrew tent was MORE expensive than for Joe Public! and generally get treated like 2nd class citizens.

If you don't believe me, just ask the guys from the kipper fleet, or the truckie fleet, or infact any RAF aircrew. If they're honest (and not some 18 yr old spog) then they will tell you the same story.

And do try not to take everything so personally. No one doubts or questions the loyalty and commitment of the volunteers. The complaints are aimed at those at the top of RIAT. By your own admission it wasn't vintage. Well, thats an understatement, especially as it's RIAT, sopposedly the 'Biggest military airshow in the world' and for that reason, it wasn't good.

As for joining the team - I couldn't stand the frustration of watching that wheel being re-invented every year. IAT takes no notice of senior serving officers, what makes you think they will take any notice of a retired one??

Kind regards
The Swinging Monkey
'Caruthers, send Bright-Ling a large Grouse to calm him down!'