PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2016, 07:22
Oakape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't argue with any of that
Actually, you can 'argue with that'. The problem lies some of the finer points. And that could be things like this are still happening.

even a dumb pilot is guided to think along a well thought out plans
Actually, a lot of non-thinking pilots are guided to act, rather than think, along a well thought out plan. Along the lines of 'I have an engine fire. I need to do this, then that, then that, etc & finally that & then I land the thing'. Great until one of the steps doesn't work or is inappropriate in the specific circumstances. Then it all goes pear shaped rather quickly.

Thinking is not dead but rather the pilot is prevented from acting without thinking like in the old days.
On the contrary, pilots can actually be led to act without thinking. 'Just follow the SOP for the situation we have & all will be fine'. The thing is, you can't have an SOP to cover every eventuality. SOP's have a very important place & have been developed through hard-won & often bitter experience. But due to the very nature of the business, a pilot needs to be able to know when to apply them, how to apply them, when to modify them & even when to ignore them. And that takes thought & sometimes flexibility. The cookie-cutter, one size fits all, mentality has no business in this business.

As they say, 'every flight is the same & every flight is different'.