PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Young ATPL F.O. 200Hrs TT on right seat.....
Old 22nd Aug 2016, 21:28
Mikehotel152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This cockpit had 7500 hours of experience. Both pilots had thousands of hours on type. We're not talking about cadets here.

I'm a fairly inexperienced Captain myself, with not many more hours than the Captain of this particular flight. I can therefore empathise with the crew. Furthermore, I've flown with many co-pilots days out of line-training and a number of 'career' FOs with more hours on type than myself, and everything in between.

According to my personal experience, the great danger is not necessarily with inexperience per se. I've flown with many very new pilots who take their jobs seriously and make up for their inexperience with strict adherence to SOPs and a conscientious eagerness to learn. Because of the element of 'training' involved in such flights, incidents are rare even if the overall level of experience of experience might be a latent concern.

In my opinion, the bigger worry is with cockpits containing moderate levels of experience where the experience gradient is also shallow. It's those cockpits where an element of bravado or machismo comes into play. As a puerile reaction to strict SOPs and a consequence of over-confidence, these crews are more likely to push the boundaries or carry out procedures without the appropriate experience or preparation. With opportunities to hand-fly becoming rare, the 'visual' is quickly becoming the manoeuvre of choice to get your 'fix'. There's an element of complacency too. An assumption that the other pilot knows what they're doing. An unwillingness by the commander to interfere if something isn't quite right.

As for this incident, I don't think I would have planned a dusk/night hand-flown visual approach in conditions of strong gusty winds, clouds below 3000 feet and Cbs in the vicinity after a nearly 5 hour flight. But following what I said above, it doesn't surprise me one little bit that this crew tried it... and failed to perform it properly*.

*I may be doing them a disservice.